Welcome to Year 6
In Year 6, we have 2 classes: 6AW and 6ED.
Adults that work in Year 6 are:
- Mrs Woodhead (6AT class teacher)
- Miss Davies (6ED class teacher)
- Mrs Smart (Teaching Assistant leading Learning Group)
- Mr Collins (Teaching Assistant leading Learning Group)
- Mrs Walker (HLTA – in 6AW on a Monday and Tuesday and in 6ED on a Wednesday and Thursday)
Have a look through our page for ideas and activities on the curriculum we follow and links and guidance to additional resources to enable you to help you to contribute to your child’s learning.
Things you’ll need to help you learn in Year 6
We expect the following items to be in school every day:
- Pupil Organiser
- School Reading Book
- PE Kit
- Water Bottle
Children do not need to bring in pencil cases, as all stationery equipment will be provided.
Although PE kits need to be in school every day, for the Spring term, PE is on:
|Monday – Indoor PE||Monday – Indoor PE|
|Wednesday – Outdoor PE||Wednesday – Outdoor PE|
Learning in Year 6
The expectation in Year 6 is that: -
- All children know their times tables up to 12 x 12 and can apply this understanding to multiplication, division and word problems; including with larger numbers and decimals.
- The expectation for the end of Year 6 is that children can read and accurately spell words from this spelling list (including the Year 5 words); throughout and Year 5 and 6 children study rules, which rules apply to this list as well as individual rules.
In Year 6 all children will use a pen, there is also an expectation that all handwriting is joined in line with Holgate’s policy.
Throughout the school year, we will work on different Curriculum Vehicles. A vehicle is the theme or idea which drives our learning. Our first Curriculum Vehicle of this school year is called: Scream Machines
Click here to download a knowledge organiser to help support your child throughout this Curriculum Vehicle. This gives you useful information linked to the work that we are doing in class - our vehicle. You will see the areas we will be covering, some “sticky” knowledge that we would like the children to learn, useful books to read and share with your child, key vocabulary and a few ideas of websites to visit.
It would be really supportive of your child’s learning in school if you could talk to them throughout this half term about the information on here and about what they have been doing in class.
Maths will often be set on Mathletics but may sometimes be sent on paper.
English will include (but are not limited to): Spellings (these will be written into pupil organisers during spelling sessions); written work (this may be a reading comprehension or grammar work)
We would encourage children to try to read for at least 10 minutes a day. More information about your child’s reading level can be found in their pupil organisers.
Each week, Year 6 will host a Homework Club during one lunchtime. Children can attend this club and received support from adults with their homework – details can be found on the Club and Activities page.
Links to help with homework