Welcome to Year 2
(2RV Class Teacher)
(2EB Class Teacher & SENCO)
To find out more information about Miss Wragg and Miss Baker, please see their 'Meet the Teacher' sheets at the bottom of this page.
Key Days in Year 2 are:
- PE in Y2 takes place on a Friday.
Learning in Year 2
Year 2 is another big milestone. As the final year of KS1 the children are encouraged to work more independently. At this age, most children will have improved their ability to coordinate movement and their language/speech will be increasingly complex and grammatically correct, so it’s an exciting year for children, parents and teachers. .
Like all year groups, Year 2 has government statutory schemes of learning to follow. The children will be assessed throughout and at the end of the year to see if they have reached the expected standard. All children are supported and are given extra support and guidance if needed. Year 2 is also the year of the Key Stage 1 (KS1) end-of-year attainment tests known as SATS, which mark the end of their KS1 journey
English (Writing, Reading and Phonics)
- Phonics remains a big part of Year 2. The children will continue to work on the phonics they started in Year 1, aiming to read words by sight without having to sound them out. They will learn further spelling patterns and rules, and begin to apply those in their writing. They will look at the possessive apostrophe, homophones, and near-homophones and suffixes. For more information about our phonics progression, please visit our Phonics page. *please note that our phonics progressions has involved significant catch up sessions.
- In their English sessions, children will use quality texts to develop their understanding of writing. They will produce extended written outcomes. We encourage the children to explore a wider range of texts and stories. The children will develop their understanding of sentence structure for example, they will begin to look at subordinate clauses. For more information on our English curriculum, visit our Curriculum page.
- There is a big focus on handwriting with children encouraged to form their letters correctly, learn which letters are to be joined and make letters a consistent size.
- Please view our Reading Spine for Year 2 - In Year 2, the texts in our Reading Spine are used to supplement the children's 'reading diet' and will not all be used as taught texts. Some of the texts will be 'sharing' books that the children would not be able to read independently.
Mathematics in Year 2 focuses on the 2, 5, and 10 times tables, and they will learn multiplication and division facts for these tables. Children in Year 2 will also learn to add and subtract with two-digit and one-digit numbers.
In fractions, they will find ⅓, ¼, ½, and ¾ of a shape or a quantity of objects. They will study measures, including weight, capacity, and length, and they will learn to tell the time to five minutes. They will also study properties of 2D and 3D shapes, as well as a range of data-handling methods such as bar charts and pictograms.
We employ the ‘mastery’ style of teaching concentrating on breadth of knowledge, and Year 2 are encouraged to use their understanding of the new concepts to solve challenges to deepen their understanding.
If you want to see how Year 2 at Holgate are taught to apply different calculation techniques in maths, click here to view videos support guides.
The Wider Curriculum
We teach our wider curriculum through a mix of discreet (stand-alone) sessions and those taught through the curriculum vehicle. For more information on our Curriculum Offer, please visit our Curriculum pages.