Welcome to Year 3
Key Days in Year 3 are:
- PE days will be updated following the wider reopening of school. If your child is currently attending school, please speak to the adults leading their bubble about PE days.
Learning in Year 3
Please note that for the majority of our children, all learning is currently taking place online. Please visit our Remote Learning pages for more information about our school's remote learning offer and contact the year group team for more specific support.
Year 3 is the beginning of the four years that make up KS2 - for us at Holgate, that also means being taught upstairs! The children are encouraged to begin to take more responsibility for their actions and their learning.
Like all year groups, Year 3 has government statutory schemes of learning to follow. The children will be assessed throughout and at the end of the year to see if they have reached the expected standard.
- In English, Year 3 will continue to work on the spelling patterns they have begun in previous years, but this year there is less of a focus on phonics and more emphasis on understanding and learning the spelling rules, as well as attention to prefixes and suffixes.
- In their English sessions, children will use quality texts to develop their understanding of writing. They will produce extended written outcomes for a variety of purposes including writing to persuade, entertain and inform. The children will become more confident at following the writing process of: plan, write, edit and redraft.
- Grammar becomes a wider focus in KS2, the children in Year 3 will continue to devel. For more information on our English curriculum, visit our Curriculum page.
- There continues to be a focus on handwriting with children expected to be joined.
- Please view our Reading Spine for Year 3 - In Year 3, the texts in our Reading Spine are used to supplement the children's 'reading diet' and will not all be used as taught texts. These include a range from picture books to classical texts.
Maths in Year 3 has more of a times tables focus. Quick recall of the required 3, 4, 8, and 50 times-tables (as well as the 2, 5, and 10 times-tables they’ve already learned in Year 1 and 2) is important as they form the foundation for a large majority of the work the children will cover within the year.
The children will learn more calculation strategies building up to formal written methods. They will also cover fractions of quantities, equivalent fractions, angles, parallel and perpendicular lines, area, perimeter, and shape.
We employ the ‘mastery’ style of teaching concentrating on breadth of knowledge, and Year 3 children will be given lots of opportunities to use their understanding of the new concepts to solve challenges to deepen their understanding.
If you want to see how Year 3 at Holgate are taught to apply different calculation techniques in maths, click here to view videos support guides.
The Wider Curriculum
We teach our wider curriculum through a mix of discreet (stand-alone) sessions and those taught through the curriculum vehicle. For more information on our Curriculum Offer, please visit our Curriculum pages.
During the school closures, we know that your children will be spending more time online, is important to make sure your child remains safe online - look through our guide for ways to support your child's online safety.
If your child is struggling to make sense of the current situation, sharing our social story or one of these ebooks may help: