Welcome to Year 5
Key Days in Year 5 are:
- PE days will be updated following the wider reopening of school. If your child is currently attending school, please speak to the adults leading their bubble about PE days.
Learning in Year 5
Please note that for the majority of our children, all learning is currently taking place online. Please visit our Remote Learning pages for more information about our school's remote learning offer and contact the year group team for more specific support.
Year 5 is a year to embed all of the knowledge learnt in lower Key Stage 2 and a year to start the preparations for transition to secondary school.
This is often a year when children grow in maturity – sometimes even more so than in their final year in primary. They gain a greater independence and confidence from being given more responsibility in their learning.
Children in Year 5 are increasingly encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning: to do their homework, to pack their school bag, to remember their PE kits. And they develop and grow as a result. It is about encouraging independence in preparation for bigger things to come.
Like all year groups, Year 5 has government statutory schemes of learning to follow. The children will be assessed throughout and at the end of the year to see if they have reached the expected standard.
- In their English sessions, children will use quality texts to develop their understanding of writing. They will produce extended written outcomes for a variety of purposes including writing to persuade, entertain, discuss and inform. The children will become more confident at following the writing process of: plan, write, edit and redraft.
- In Year 5, children will read a range of different genres. They will continue to use their skills of inference of characters' motives and feelings and will start to think about figurative language and how it is used.
- Grammar becomes a wider focus in KS2, the children in Year 5 will continue to develop their understanding of a wider range of grammatical concepts such as punctuating using brackets, dashes and commas. For more information on our English curriculum, visit our Curriculum page.
- Please view our Reading Spine for Year 5 - In Year 5, the texts in our Reading Spine are used to supplement the children's 'reading diet' and will not all be used as taught texts. These include a range from picture books, poetry to classical texts.
In Year 5, children will become much more confident with addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to know which one to use in what situation. They will apply their understanding to larger digits and decimals.
Children will continue to build on their understand of fractions and make links between fractions, decimals and percentages. Additionally, they will learn to calculate the area and perimeters of different shapes. Children will develop their understanding of how to convert between units of measurement, including imperial to metric measurements. The children will learn to draw and measure angles using protractors.
If you want to see how Year 5 at Holgate are taught to apply different calculation techniques in maths, click here to view videos support guides.
The Wider Curriculum
We teach our wider curriculum through a mix of discreet (stand-alone) sessions and those taught through the curriculum vehicle. For more information on our Curriculum Offer, please visit our Curriculum pages.
During the school closures, we know that your children will be spending more time online, is important to make sure your child remains safe online - look through our guide for ways to support your child's online safety.
If your child is struggling to make sense of the current situation, sharing our social story or one of these ebooks may help: